The Saebo Flex is a custom fabricated, dynamic Wrist Hand Finger Orthosis (WHFO). It is finger and thumb driven in flexion, and cable
driven in extension. The orthosis serves a dual purpose: to support
the hand in a functional position while allowing the person to
incorporate the hand in functional activities.
- Designed to support the neurologically impaired wrist, hand, thumb, and fingers in a functional position
- Helps to prevent and correct contractures of the wrist, hand,
thumb, and fingers
- Maintains and improves range of motion in the hand, thumb,
fingers and throughout the entire upper extremity
- Improves strength in the wrist, hand, thumb, fingers and
throughout the entire upper extremity
- Assists with performing functional grasp and release activities
using the affected arm/hand
When wearing the Saebo Flex for positioning, the patient should
gradually increase the wearing time. (This should be monitored
by a licensed therapist/health care professional). This should be
done during the waking hours, and it is not recommended that the
Saebo Flex be worn while sleeping.
We suggest two 45 minute sessions of functional grasp and release activities
each day. Consult with your SaeboTrained therapist to help identify the best
functional activities to match your specific needs. After each 45 minute session
the Saebo Flex should be removed for at least 30 minutes. It is possible to do
more than two 45 minute sessions each day.
- Traumatic Brain Injury (T.B.I.)
- Incomplete Spinal Cord Injury
- Cerebral Palsy
- Individuals suffering from hemiparesis
- Severe joint deformities in the fingers and thumb secondary to
hypermobile or lax joints
- Any type of inflammatory arthritis in the fingers or thumb
- Limiting fixed contractures in the fingers, thumb, and wrist
- Severe edema in the forearm and/or hand
- Open wounds or infected areas
- The Saebo Flex was not designed to be used on a normal hand
as the dynamic resistive springs are not calibrated to
accommodate normal tone and would be no functional benefit.
- If you experience any pain while wearing or using the
Saebo Flex, stop immediately and contact a health care
professional before resuming.
- If unusual swelling, skin discoloration, discomfort, or
numbness occurs, remove immediately and contact a health
care professional before resuming.
- Avoid wearing the Saebo Flex for longer than 45 minutes at a
time while incorporating it functionally.
- The Saebo Flex should fit snug, yet comfortably, without
interfering with circulation.
- Do not let unsupervised children play with the Saebo Flex as
there are small parts which if removed may cause choking if